Saturday, September 12, 2009

Yosemite Valley

Tuesday, Sept 8 - Yosemite National Park

Today, they announced that the road into Yosemite Valley would open at 5pm. I decided I didn't want to wait for that, so I drove out and around the park to get back in - took about three hours, but it was a fun drive on really windy and steep roads - made me wish I was driving a two-seater convertible rather than a twelve year old Pathfinder!

Down in the Valley, I discovered that all of the campgrounds are generally full, but I got my name on a waiting list and told to return at 3pm. I decided to kill the time by strolling around the valley some.

To the left is Yosemite Falls, the tallest waterfall in all of North America - that is, when there is water in it. If you are planning a trip to Yosemite, plan it for earlier in the summer if you want to see much water. Mirror Lake was another water feature without water this late in the season.

Getting closer to Half Dome (right) - tomorrow is the day! I showed up for the campsite lottery at 3 and got a site for one day. Since I would be hiking the entire next day, I knew I was SOL for getting any site in the valley after the Half Dome hike. Note to self - if you ever come back to Yosemite, don't come back without campsite reservations, no matter how late in the summer.



The picture (left) did not adequately capture this pretty stream with the mountain looming behind it.







The picture to the right was me playing with long exposures on my camera to get the effect of the fire. The resident of this campsite was also camping along and he was planning to hike up to Half Dome at midnight to watch the sunrise from the top. He was working on me pretty hard to go along with him. I gracefully declined. In daylight was daunting enough - there was no way I was going to climb up there in the pitch dark. Since I didn't get to stay in the same campsite the next day, I never heard if he attempted it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment