Friday, September 11, 2009

The Road to Yosemite

Sunday, Sept 6, Washington, Oregon, and California

Long drive today from Mount Rainier toward Yosemite. I planned to stop around Shasta Lake in northern California, but couldn't find any campgrounds other than RV parks. Mount Shasta (left) was about the only decent view along the way. I'd already been to most of the stops in Oregon (e.g., Bend, Klamath Falls) so I didn't bother to do much on my way through Oregon.

Since I couldn't find a campsite along the way, decided to press on all the way to Yosemite. Started driving at 6:30 that morning and didn't get into Yosemite until after midnight with one short stop for breakfast about thirty minutes into the trip.

Upon arrival in Yosemite, I learned that a fire was burning and that the road to Yosemite Valley was closed, so I started driving into the north end of the park to find a campsite. About 10-20 miles into the park, I had run across two campsites, both closed (presumably due to the fires) and was beginning to get a little tired when I finally found a campsite. Later learned that the fire had been intentionally set by the National Park Service and it had gotten out of their control, been burning for three weeks and consumed like one hundred thousand acres - your tax dollars at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment