Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Carlsbad Caverns

Friday, Sept 18 - Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico

I didn't have a lot of time to spend at Carlsbad as I needed to be back in Austin Friday night to prepare for the UT football game on Saturday.
I did spend a couple of hours touring the Big Room, which is in fact quite big (six football fields big).

Took several pictures, but my skills with long exposures and low lighting are not that great yet. One thing that surprised me a bit was the lack of color of the formations, at least with the naked eye. Some of the colors do come out a bit more in the photos, but there in the cave, everything is pretty white and gray.





It's a bit awe-inspiring to think that these formations "grew" silently in the dark over tens of thousands of years.






After finishing the Big Room tour, got back into the car and headed east to Austin. About eight hours later, I was back in Texas, donning a UT shirt and headed out for some dinner on 6th Street. God Bless the USA and God Bless Texas! Amazing trip and experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment