Friday, September 11, 2009

Golf and Car Sleeping in Whistler, BC

Friday, Sept 4, British Columbia, Canada

Drove with my bad brakes several hundred miles through the mountains toward Whistler, BC.
The pictures below were taken along the way. During the entire day I never really left the mountains and was always driving along some river or by some lake, so it was a really beautiful drive the entire day and took my mind off the fact that my car sounded so bad.




After arriving safely in Whistler, I headed straight to the auto repair shop - oops I mean golf course for a round of sunset golf at Whistler Golf Club (below). Still expensive, but not outrageous after 5pm. Got in 14 holes before it was too dark to even find my ball in the fairway, at which time I quit.







After golf, headed to a cool Irish pub in Whistler for a couple of beers and some fish and chips.
The car is sounding really bad now and I am thinking that everyone must be hearing what I am hearing and wondering what is going on. After playing golf with two locals and them telling me how every tradesman in Whistler charges an arm and a leg (probably to pay for those pricey Canadien nachos), I decided to try and get to Vancouver to find a repair shop, so I headed to the one campsite in Whistler to spend the night.
I would heartily recommend Whistler, but not for camping. The one campsite was virtually full, but they claimed to have two open sites. I arrived after their office had closed, so I took their map and headed off to find them. With all the construction going on around Whistler (for the 2010 Winter Olympics), I drove around for probably 20-30 minutes looking for these stupid tent sites. I finally figured out that what I thought were roads on the map were really walking paths and you have to park your car in a central parking area and then walk in to find you site, then walk out to car and then schlep in all of your stuff. And a tent site was $40 - double what I had paid anywhere else. By this time, I was pretty frustrated with the whole operation and when I got back to my car, it started to rain, so I said to hell with it, climbed in my car, opened up my sleeping bag and went to sleep - didn't cost me a dime and I actually slept OK, probably thanks to those beers at the Irish pub.


No comments:

Post a Comment