Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Last Day at the Canyon

Tues, Sept 15 - Grand Canyon, Arizona


A shot from one of the Rim overlooks. After hiking into the canyon, the view from the rim looks less impressive - only two dimensional.










The now virtually unused Grand Canyon rail station. Back in the day, it brought virtually all visitors to the park. I saw an old poster that asked if "will you be one of the 25,000 people to visit the Grand Canyon this year?". Thanks to autos and highways, I think they might be exceeding that number a bit now.






The El Tovar hotel - it was the first large lodge at the canyon and was designed by the same person (Mary Colter) as designed Phantom Ranch.







Mule depot (right)











Back to the grind. After enjoying a steak dinner and breakfast at the bottom of the canyon and hiking out, I developed a greater appreciation for mules!






Back to break camp and head out. Who's there? about a dozen mule deer lazing around my campsite - did they help share the cost? No, they're deer.








Bob the mule deer (left) off by himself, guarding my tent for me.





Bob's close-up. I just sat there eating cheese and crackers and enjoying a farewell beer and Bob and I just stared at each other for about thirty minutes. Finally, I needed to break camp, so I had to approach him a bit too closely to take down my tent. Bob got offended by my proximity and stood up, walked exactly six feet away from me and plopped right back down. Offended? Yes. Ambitious? No.




Driving from the Grand Canyon back to Phoenix, drove through the Red Rocks of Sedona.







Enjoyed a couple of lazy days in Phoenix visiting family (Mom, Dad, two sisters) before heading back to Texas via Carlsbad Caverns.

No comments:

Post a Comment