Friday, August 21, 2009

Yellowstone to Grand Tetons

This post is from Wednesday, August 19.


My last day at Yellowstone. I decided to drive up through Madison and into West Yellowstone - two areas I had not seen yet. One disappointment was that one of the key roads completing the two loops that allow you to drive around most of Yellowstone was closed during my visit, so it was hard to get everywhere without doing a lot of back tracking, so I never did get to the Norris area at all.

At any rate, as I approached West Yellowstone, I noticed a line of cars backed up at least a mile going into the park. Everyone was stopping at a bald eagle area to take pictures and traffic was at a standstill. I also saw the flood of cars entering the park from the west entrance and decided then that I did not want to drive down to the Tetons through that mess.

So, I whipped out my map and found an alternate route through Montana (briefly) and Idaho back around into Jackson and then Grand Teton National Park. I don't know if it saved much time, but it was different and very little traffic.


My campsite at Signal Mountain Campground in the Tetons. Very rustic, no showers, but they do have a bathroom. Nice shaded area near Lake Jackson.


'






This is the view I have twenty steps from my tent. Lake Jackson with the north end of the Teton range across the lake. Whereas in Yellowstone, you felt like you were in the middle of everything, with the Tetons its a bit different. You are in the "hole" of Jackson Hole, named because it is completely surrounded by mountains on all four sides. Instead of being in the mountains, you are looking at them, so you have better views but not quite the same feeling as Yellowstone.

After setting up camp, I headed down to Jenny Lake, a pretty little lake near the south end of the park. I decided to hike around the lake and stop at the two attractions along the way. Hidden Falls is the picture to the right and Inspiration Point is the picture below.








Here is a shot of Jenny Lake itself. Beautiful little lake with calm waters. No boats other than paddle boats or fishing boats with small motors.

All in all, the trip around the lake was about eight miles with more up and down than you might expect from a loop around a lake. Very nice short hike after a bit of a drive.
That night, I drove into Jackson and went to the Snake River Brewing Company. Sampled several of their beers and ate a Marguerita Pizza, since I needed to carbo-load for my hike the next day.



No comments:

Post a Comment