Friday, August 21, 2009

Mount Washburn and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

This post is for Tuesday, August 18.


Took this picture on my morning warm-up walk around the campgrounds at Grant Village. It shows the West Thumb of Lake Yellowstone.











This was taken at some rapids (forget the name) where Cutthroat Trout are seen jumping up the rapids to reach their spawning grounds. I was too late in the year to see that - they travel up in June and July.








My destination for today was to hike Mount Washburn, the highest point in Yellowstone Park (at least the highest point you can hike to). The peak was at 10, 243 feet and the hike took me up 1400 feet from the trailhead, so that was a record for me. The views from the top were amazing with a great view of the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. I was tired when I got to the top, but quickly felt fantastic and the walk down was really nice. Downhill much more enjoyable than uphill.


After finishing with Mount Washburn, I headed up to Mammoth Hot Springs which is near the north end of the park. Overall, a bit of a disappointment. There are huge hot spring terraces (right), but very little water flowing at the moment, so it looked more like the moon than a hot spring. A lot of walking and climbing for just a few trickles of springs. This is when I decided I had seen enough geyser features.

Along the drive back from Mammoth, saw these mountain goats or sheep - I can't tell the difference.







No comments:

Post a Comment