Saturday, August 15, 2009

Chaos in Custer!


Yesterday's buffalo encounter was definitely impressive, but today on the Wildlife Loop Road in Custer State Park had all the elements of a disaster. Lots of cars, even more buffalo, a town, traffic signals. Rush hour at its worst! Buffalo definitely do not abide by traffic lights nor do they yield the right of way to anyone - they just go where they please. Fortunately, the cars weren't in any hurry moving slowly through the gridlock (or should that be hooflock) taking pictures and letting the buffs do their thing.

Then a nasty park ranger in a picnic came through, treated the buffalo badly and urged them out of the road with their bumper - what a party pooper.













Also saw antelope and wild horses along that road, but didn't see what I was hoping to see - elk and big horn sheep. Oh well.























I started the day off more slowly than usual, getting up at about 6:30. Things were a bit damp in the tent from the rain yesterday and the dew overnight, so I hung everything out to dry in the morning sun and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast of bacon and eggs.

After breakfast, I headed to Sylvan Lake, a beautiful lake in the middle of Custer State Park. Walked around the lake a bit and then took the Sunday Gulch hike. It was about three miles through some very beautiful country. It had about 600 feet of elevation change, with some additional up and down, so I got in some decent climbing training. It wasn't the Grand Canyon and I had to pause several times to catch my breath, but overall it went pretty well and I got some neat pictures, though they never turn out as good as the real thing.





































If the weather permits (and it looks like it won't) I might head back to Mount Rushmore this evening to watch them light up the statues. I've heard that is pretty neat, but right now its starting to rain again and the air has turned downright cold. After Texas though, it feels great. Tomorrow, I am off to Yellowstone Park and another fairly long drive to get there.
















4 comments:

  1. Bob, these are great pictures, I really liked the Sylvan lake pictures, it is very pretty with Canyon like surrounding. I am looking forward to see the pictures of the Yellowstone park because Jodi and I are planning to go there sometime the next year. Catch you tomorrow. Shaun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, great pictures! I agree with Shaun, that lake is beautiful.

    Have you posted your full itinerary? In particular, when do you make it to the Grand Canyon area?

    Jerry (JP)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, Colin told me about the blog, so I will travel vicariously with you. I have been wanting to go to Mt. Rushmore, Glacier NP and some of your other stops for a long time. I could use a mental/physical health trip like this myself, but I am just going to have to read about yours this year. Have a blast and be careful !
    Mark Davis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bob,

    I finally got set up to comment on your blog.
    Looks like you are having a blast. Had any good beer...besides Guiness? The pictures are great, but I know they don't do it justice. Have you found any good bars or pubs? Darts anyone? Be safe!

    ReplyDelete